Search Engine optimization Crash Course
Here is a compilation of some very interesting posts by some of the experts in the field of search engine optimization can help you get started on search engine optimization for your website. If we may suggest, we ask you to read these posts in order so that you start from the very basic and make your way up the advanced level.
1. Google Webmaster’s Guide
Google SEO guide is the first place to start. Let me be bold enough to say that if you know this guide in and out and you have done a complete implementation of this guide on your website you have won half the battle.This guide is a case study for a sample website and gives a clear understanding of how the search engine(Google) indexes your website.It also tells you how you can format your titles such that they looks pretty on search engine when viewed as a result.
This guide may form the basis of your search engine optimization report card. You may well know that even Google although being a search engine does not do pretty well in terms of following this guide.You may check the official Google report card.
2. Google Official second SEO guide
After getting past the basic guide and having optimized your website as it should be you are ready to move on to the next article. Now for every one that does search engine optimization by themselves it is very necessary to understand the difference between “Black hat SEO” and “White hat SEO”. You may achieve good rankings upstart and quickly doing black hat SEO now but in the long run you will most certainly fail. Google seems to have put it very nicely here. They clearly state
No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google.
3. Truth about content
While most of the experts will talk about meta tags and keywords and all the boring stuff , let us focus on clear content that is easy to read and understand.Google bot may not necessarily understand your content but based on your content and various other factors judges the quality of your page. Writing effective content is very important for Search engine optimization.Updating your content is as important.
Do not in any case create random content that is related to your website because that will violate Google webmaster’s guidelines.
meanwhile it is also important to check out
- Important things to do in order to optimize your wordpress.
- Tips for small businesses.
- Detailed discussion with Matt Cutts.
- Intresting case about SEO trademark
- On another note Some light entertainment
- Before hiring an SEO expert
4. Insights and Research
Having said that we need to equally focus on other search engines in order to make sure we rank equally higher in them as well.
Important to also read
- Google Webmasters Video Channel
- Six matrices to measure your success.
- The 120 Day Wonder: How to Evangelize a Blog
Moving on ;
5. Get it right the first time
Now that you have laid all the groundwork we will need to step up a little.We will need to look at some of the most important things that can be done to optimize your website further.Simple things can have great impacts on how your website ranks
- 301 redirects – make sure if people are visiting your website/same page via www and non-www you set up a redirect. There is an interesting article at SEO BUZZ Box
- Permalink Structure – Make sure your page displays a relevant permalink rather than / index.php?q=mlm . It not only makes your website more accessible but also if a user gets a 404 page they can go to your search or archive and find a moved link.
- Alt titles for all images : Your images cannot be “read” by search engines and that is why it is important to provide a text equivalent for all your images.
While reading this you can also read
- Caching your website for improved performance.
6. Getting past the Basics
Set up tracking and learn. – if you have a website you can easily set up google analytics tracking and see what people are doing on your website.Tracking can help you understand what people are doing, how they are doing it and Why are they leaving ? Tracking can provide you some key answers. Avinash has some excellent tips on measuring effectiveness of your web pages.
Avinash has some excellent tips on analytics but our most recommed is to read the excellent tips series.
7. Multivariate and Further optimization
Google Website optimizer is the next step in achieving your desired goals and ranking higher in search engines. Multivariate testing is very very important in order to use your visitors behavior and optimizing your site to suit your audience.
Meanwhile you can also read
- Mark has a great article on the fundamentals of multivariate testing.